Votes

Leafy Street brings fresh style to Riverview

photo

Joey Harris stands in her new shop, Leafy Street.

Leafy Street in Riverview is adding a breezy flair to the neighborhood of local shops.

The newly opened shop carries dresses, skirts, tops, blue jeans, locally made jewelry, purses and more. Shoppers might even spot a pair of vintage boots peeking out from displays.

The price point is as varied as the clothing, between $30 and $300, and the merchandise reflects owner Joey Harris’ own style — relaxed but stylish, fun and full of personality, she said.

“It embodies that free-spirit look,” Harris said, describing her store’s “West Coast style.” “I’m always moving and working … and I have to be comfortable doing it. I have clothes for everybody, ages 19 to 90.”

Leafy Street resides in the former Alice Blue store, a location that Harris said was meant to be.

“It totally feels like home and I love it,” she said.

The new business owner has been in the retail industry for 20 years, having helped open the Abercrombie & Fitch store when it first came to Hamilton Place Mall. Since then, she’s lived in various locations, including in sunny Destin, Fla., where she managed a line of shops and picked up much of her breezy style.

“I loved [managing]. I was good at it and it made me happy,” she reminisced, adding that eventually she desired to open her own shop. “I’ve been doing it all this time for other people. This is so different when it’s yours. It’s more stressful but in such a good way. I’m so excited. I love coming to work.”

The shop is open Tuesday-Saturday, and Harris said she plans to reserve Mondays for private appointments.

“Leafy Street is different from any other store in town,” she said. “If you love comfortable, casual clothes with personality, I would love to work with you.”