Votes

Matzko ‘spruces’ up North Shore with jewelry designs

photo

Spruced Handmade owner Melita Matzko stands in Homegrown Silver and Stone on Frazier Avenue, which is where much of her local-inspired merchandise is sold.

On any given day, Melita Matzko might wear silver cicadas on her earlobes or a sparkling basil leaf strung around her neck.

The North Shore resident and jewelry artist runs her business Spruced Handmade on Etsy.

The jewelry she sells features hand-carved metal clay, molded into images of pure silver or copper trees, fish, the Walnut Street Bridge and even old-fashioned cassette tapes.

“I loved sculpting miniatures, so when I heard about metal clay I realized I can actually do something with my tiny sculpting skills,” Matzko said. “I started playing with it and I just fell in love. [Metal clay] is an amazing medium.”

From her jewelry designs to her two-ply birch business cards, most of Matzko’s inspiration comes from nature, and her true-to-life cicada earrings are no exception.

“These have a story behind them,” she said.

One summer a swarm of cicadas invaded the area, and a very unlucky one flew into Matzko’s hair and got stuck. Frantic, she danced around, beating at her head, until the large bug finally became untangled. Since then she’s had a fear of the grotesque yet harmless bugs.

“I started looking at them up close and realized they are actually crazy-beautiful, even with their creepy, beady little eyes,” Matzko laughed, explaining that she used one that had already died to make a cast for the earrings. “It sort of demystified them to me and helped me get over the horror. I actually like them now.”

Matzko often casts her work from actual objects, including that basil leaf necklace. Other than her hand-carved jewelry, she also sketches unique patterns for gift bags, tote bags and yearly planners.

And within each pattern, a special element or characteristic of Chattanooga can be found.

“The thing I like about Chattanooga is the geometry,” she said. “The shape of Lookout Mountain, the S-curve of the river. It’s so fun to play with designs; it’s hard for me to resist incorporating [Chattanooga themes].”

The price point for her handmade jewelry is anywhere from $30 to $60. Matzko said she’s preparing to begin work with gemstones, which will increase the price point of some of her jewelry, as well as the quality.