Votes

Studio 6 sets up shop on North Market Street

photo

Andrea Tarter manages Studio 6 on North Market Street.

Age is not a style. It’s a frame of mind.

Or so the motto of new North Shore boutique Studio 6 goes.

“Our merchandise is for everybody,” said manager Andrea Tarter. “It’s not just for young or for moms, it’s for everybody.”

The boutique officially opened its doors in early February in a cozy standalone brick building located just across the street from the Chattanooga Ballet.

Tarter is the sister of boutique owner Suzy Griffin, who also owns two other locations of Studio 6, one in Bristol, Va., and one in Athens, Tenn.

“I’ve begged her and begged her to come to Chattanooga,” said Tarter, who’s lived in Chattanooga since she graduated from UTC in the 1990s.

When the building on North Market came open, Griffin came to visit and loved the location, Tarter said.

“We are off the beaten path a little bit but I think it’s a great spot,” she said.

Among the stylish clothing offerings — blouses, dresses, pants and more — are colorful scarves and wallets and other accessories.

“We try not to have a billion of the same thing,” Tarter said. “So you’re not going to see it all over town. It’s kind of exclusive.”

And so is the jewelry of local artist and Chattanooga native Alex Nelson, who sells her handcrafted jewelry line Spun Jewelry only at Studio 6.

Nelson, who also works in the shop, said her jewelry features metal and beading and even some recycled materials. She emphasizes an affordable price point for her jewelry, with some pieces as low as $8.

“We liked her so much we asked her to work here,” Tarter laughed.

“It was a perfect fit,” said Nelson, who described the shop’s merchandise as classy but fun. “I think this place will do really great.”

Most of the display hangings and decorations are handmade, said Tarter, including a blinged-out mannequin named “Lola,” situated at the back of the shop.

“This whole store is like a do-it-yourself project,” Tarter said, explaining that the business is definitely a family endeavor.

Find out more about Studio 6 at facebook.com/studio6chattanooga or calling 805-2593. Or stop by the shop’s location at 800 N. Market St.