Votes

Red Bank Commissioner Ken Welch leaving

Red Bank Commissioner Ken Welch is leaving the city and his elected position for a nursing job in Arcada, Calif.

“I decided to leave Erlanger and move out West,” said Welch, who was a nurse at Erlanger Hospital.

His last commission meeting is Tuesday, March 4.

“I’ll miss everyone,” Welch said. “Obviously, it was a hard decision to leave.”

Welch announced his departure at the Feb. 25 commission meeting.

“To lose him will be like losing a brother,” said Mayor John Roberts, who had Welch as a baseball coach when he was a young boy. “Ken will be truly missed, but he’s always welcome back to the city. He brought a different type of attitude to the board that was needed.”

After Welch submits his resignation, the board of commissioners will run an advertisement for interested parties to submit a resume, said City Recorder Ruthie Rohen. The board will then interview candidates and vote on Welch’s replacement, who will serve until the November 2014 election.

Welch is a District 3 commissioner, so his replacement must live in his district on the south side of Red Bank, extending from Newberry Street to Stringer’s Ridge Tunnel and south of Martin Road.

Welch was appointed by the commission to replace former Vice Mayor Greg Jones when he left the commission to take a job in Alaska in November 2011. Welch was elected to the position in the November 2012 election and was up for election again in November 2014.

“I would have run this fall if I had stayed,” said Welch, who was known for his efforts to improve the Red Bank Community Pool.