Votes

Morning Pointe calls for acts for Senior Idol Talent Show

Ann Lewis started plucking the chords of a piano when she was as young as 6, and she played for a gospel quartet by the age of 15.

Even now — as a resident of The Lantern Alzheimer’s Memory Care Program at Morning Pointe of Hixson who faces the challenges that come along with dementia — her fingers fly effortlessly over the keys, rounding out melodies and adding flourishes here and there.

Her baby grand piano, situated in The Lantern’s lobby, was brought from Lewis’ home by her husband Bob. Whenever she sits down at her piano bench, other residents are sure to gather to listen to her play.

“I’ve had a good time with it; it’s been fun,” Lewis said brightly.

The overall community might get a chance to see her and other seniors perform at the upcoming Morning Pointe Senior Idol Talent Show, auditions for which are coming up next week Sept. 2-3 from 2-4 p.m. at Morning Pointe of Hixson.

Facility life enrichment director Holly Holcomb is heading up the show and said as she receives entry forms, she will schedule specific audition times with each contestant.

On the night of the show, Sept. 11 at 7 p.m., qualified judges will score the performers and award a $100 first place prize as well as trophies for first, second and third place.

Last year’s second place winner was 74-year-old Henry Tallent, who plans to audition again this year and is going for the gold. The Hixson resident’s award-winning talent? Dancing to Elvis’ rendition of “Polk Salad Annie.”

“I had a good time doing it and everything … and I’m going to get first place this year,” he said.

Tallent said he is a huge Elvis fan, adding that he and his wife just returned home from Memphis where they participated in Elvis Week. And he has always enjoyed dancing.

“I had five sisters, and when you have five sisters, somebody’s got to dance with them,” Tallent laughed. “It gives you an opportunity to see how an old man my age can still move.”

To encourage fellow seniors to audition for the talent show, he says, “Just go for it. Just get out there and try it.”

The auditions are open to anyone over the age of 62. Acts may not exceed three minutes and all equipment and music must be provided by the act.

To find out more, call 847-1370. Morning Pointe of Hixson is located at 5501 Old Hixson Pike.