Votes

Marching Trojans get new director, renewed direction

photo

Contributed photo

The Soddy-Daisy High School Marching Band prepares for the season under new director Joshua Light.

The Soddy-Daisy High School Marching Trojans are kicking off the year at this Friday’s game with a new band director and a renewed competitive spirit.

Joshua Light came on staff this year as band director, moving from Hawkins County, Tenn., where he taught band for 12 years.

During his tenure there, the band expanded from 38 to 135 students, marched in the Sugar and Outback bowls and won grand champion titles.

Light said he’s excited to work with the SDHS band and move them forward as well.

“The opportunity to work with this band and the community support I saw the Soddy community had for the program … I wanted to be a part of it,” he said. “It was one of those programs that had always been a very competitive program and very prestigious and well-respected in the state.”

Though last year the SDHS band didn’t compete — but did travel to Australia to perform in the Sydney Opera House, among other things — they’ve competed in various Bands of America contests and even traveled to Pasadena, Calif., for the Rose Bowl Parade in 2010.

“The band had always placed very well at those types of events. What I want to do is get the band back into its competitive nature,” Light said. “I just want to continue with that legacy and make sure those students have that opportunity.”

The band will be competing in various competitions throughout the year, he said, with its last one slated for Nov. 1 at Fenway Park in Boston, Mass.

Locals headed to Soddy-Daisy’s first home game against rival Hixson this Friday, Aug. 22, can catch the band’s first official performance of the year during halftime.

The performance will feature two movements of this year’s program, titled “The Four Freedoms.” Inspired by the famous Norman Rockwell painting series of the same name, fans can expect lots of patriotic touches, said Light.

Soddy-Daisy High School is located at 618 Sequoyah Access Road and can be reached at 332-8828.