Votes

NRCC offers oil painting classes for seniors through grant

Judi Hostetter was a young newlywed when she first began painting.

“I expressed an interest … and my husband started buying me brushes,” she said with a chuckle.

Fifty years later, Hostetter has a prestigious artist residency and years of teaching art at Silverdale Baptist Academy under her belt. Her work has been exhibited in many local, national and international juried exhibitions and is in permanent corporate collections in the United States and in Central and South America.

“The whole world is just a marvel to me,” she said. “I can drive in my car and just see a scene that begs to be painted. It’s just the way God made me, I guess.”

The North River Civic Center in Hixson will soon be offering Hostetter’s skills in the form of free Introduction to Oil Painting classes for senior citizens. The classes are being offered June 5, 12, 19 and 26 from 10 a.m. to noon.

As instructor, Hostetter will educate 10 students on basic supplies, mixing color, setting up a simple sill life, choosing subject matter and more.

The class is already filling up, so NRCC Manager Linda Rugina said any interested seniors should register soon by calling the center at 870-8924.

“They don’t have to lay down any cash,” said Hostetter. “It’s [the instruction, supplies, etc.] all provided.”

It’s free because of a Community Cultural Connections Grant courtesy of ArtsBuild. NRCC was among a pool of more than 63 other applicants for the grant, said Rugina.

“It’s a good way to introduce someone to that medium to see if it’s something they want to pursue,” Hostetter said of the class.

Rugina added that NRCC will hopefully offer more classes similar to this in the fall, as well. Find out more at chattanooga.gov/youthandfamily/senior-and-cultural-facilities.