Votes

Javadi opens second Mattress Center location

When A.J. Javadi opened the first Mattress Center in the Ooltewah/Collegedale area about five years ago, he started out selling big-name brands such as Sealy and Tempur-Pedic.

“Very soon I figured out those companies are very overpriced, and the customer service is absolutely horrible,” he said.

So at the recently opened Mattress Center No. 2 on Signal Mountain Road, Javadi now focuses on making his inventory high quality rather than filling his store with big-name brands.

“I’ve learned a lot about dealing with different companies,” he said. “Tempur-Pedic is a good mattress, and very profitable for me to sell, but it’s not fair to the customers so I decided not to carry them.”

He said he has been to the factory of every company whose mattresses he sells and all the companies will work with him to resolve a problem if the customer is unsatisfied. (Companies such as Sealy will only take complaints from customers, he explained.)

Javadi offers a wide variety of mattresses in memory foam, innerspring, latex and mixed materials. The most popular options at the higher end of the spectrum are the Kingsdown Edenton made in North Carolina and Jamison’s latex mattresses made in Franklin, Tenn. Less costly but also popular are memory foam mattresses from Bed Boss, which are one-fifth the price of Tempur-Pedic mattresses, said Javadi.

In addition to mattresses, his store also offers mattress protectors, frames, pillows and adjustable beds.

Javadi said his prices beat those of any mattress store in Tennessee, and if a customer finds a lower price he will give them that price plus an additional 10 percent off.

Mattress Center No. 2 charges for delivery by the distance instead of a flat rate, and Javadi said most deliveries up Signal Mountain have been around $25.

The Big Ridge resident said he wanted to open his second store at the foot of Signal Mountain because the area previously lacked a place for customers to look at mattresses.

“I heard so much about the community and wanted to be a part of it,” said Javadi, who would like to eventually move to Signal Mountain.

When customers come in, he looks at their individual needs and provides three to four suggestions.

“If someone has a back problem I never sell them a memory foam mattress, because that’s not what they need,” said Javadi, who prides himself on his customer service. “I’m not just trying to sell a mattress.”