Votes

The Pure Experience

Learn to truly live in your own skin

For some women it might be hard to see the connection between hair, health and living with purpose, but for Alexis Willis the three are all part of one bigger idea.

She firmly believes that a fulfilling life comes from living in a way that honors a person’s true identity, whether that means embracing a natural hairstyle, championing a healthy lifestyle, working every day to live a life of purpose, or a combination of all three. In order to help more women learn about combining those three passions into one committed lifestyle, she is hosting an event called The Pure Experience Sunday, Jan. 27 from 2-5 p.m. at Warehouse Row, Suite 218.

“The Pure Experience is a conversation about hair, health and value,” said Willis. “It will be an empowering day and hopefully everyone who attends will get a chance to have conversations with other women who are on the same journey as they are.”

The event will include three 40- to 45-minute sessions on each of the three topics, refreshments and giveaways during the breaks. Tickets to attend cost $5 per person.

In addition to the informational session on natural hair, there will be a natural hair product swap. Willis said anyone who has purchased a natural hair product that didn’t work for them can bring it in and hopefully trade out with someone else for a product more suited to their needs. It is important to note that natural hair isn’t exclusively for one hair type or one kind of person, she said.

“We have relegated natural hair to just a texture,” said Willis. “What going natural really is is embracing the hair you were born with, whatever that hair looks like.”

Specialized speakers and Willis herself will present during the event. Last year she started Natural Beautiful Me, a movement dedicated to empowering women to embrace their natural beauty and value their identity. To help promote the movement, Willis has sold hundreds of T-shirts with the Natural Beautiful Me logo created by local artist Rondell Crier.

“Natural Beautiful Me is not just about the hair, it’s about the lifestyle,” Willis said. “I not only want to share my knowledge, but to bring in other speakers who specialize in this area.”

One of the things she said she is most excited about with The Pure Experience is helping local women discover their purpose. Willis plans on using a program during the event that asks women to answer questions that help them analyze how they should be living to feel fulfilled and like they are contributing to the world.

“They will discover their purpose by the end of the session and will write a purpose statement that’s similar to a business’s mission statement,” she said.

For more information visit www.naturalbeautifulme.myshopify.com.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.