Votes

Akins resigns, Epperson steps in as Walden mayor

In accordance with the Walden town charter, Vice Mayor David Epperson is taking over as the town’s mayor following the resignation of Elizabeth Akins, who was elected to the post in November.

Due to health issues, Akins last week announced her resignation from the position, thereby completely removing herself from the Walden Board of Mayor and Aldermen.

“David Epperson will do a great job as mayor, so we will be fine,” said Akins in regards to her replacement.

Epperson will serve out the rest of Akins’ term until the next general election in November 2014????.

“I’m going to do the best I can in the position,” said Epperson. “It’s not something I particularly wanted, but I feel I’ve been in Walden long enough to know some of the things we need to take care of.”

He said he’s been serving the town as an alderman for about 10 years now.

“I think I’m going to ask for a lot of cooperation from citizens,” said Epperson. “I’m going to keep the town going really smoothly.”

He said it is up to him and recently elected first-time Alderman Bill Trohanis to decide who is appointed to fill the open alderman position. The new appointee was announced at the town meeting on Tuesday, Jan. 8.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.