Votes

Run for God taking off at Oakwood Baptist Church

Run for God is taking off at Oakwood Baptist Church. The class’s leaders hope to sign up 100 runners, who do not have to be a member of Oakwood to enroll.

The 12-week session begins Thursday, Jan. 10 at 7 p.m. at the main Oakwood Baptist Church campus in Chickamauga. However, runners can enroll anytime in January and the class’s leaders will bring them up to speed.

The group meets every Thursday from 7-8:30 p.m. Topics like nutrition, hydration and how to select the proper running shoes will be discussed along with the Bible studies that follow each class.

Participants can run afterward and join group runs in Chickamauga, Ringgold and Fort Oglethorpe throughout the week.

The class has a 95 percent graduation rate.

“My husband led the first class and at the time I was an absolute couch potato,” said Ringgold resident Rene’ Koss, who is serving this year as OBC Run for God co-leader alongside her husband, Andy. “I was never an athletic person, but I felt that since my husband was leading the class that I should try it. Running is his passion, so he put it into a ministry. I am now a community runner and I participate in local 5k runs.”

She said she has grown to enjoy running so much that she likes to run in all weather conditions, even in the rain. Koss said she actually prefers to run in the wintertime because she can layer her clothes to stay warm.

“We have class participants from class one, two and three that went from not running at all and now several of them have completed half marathons,” she said, adding that some have even completed full marathons. “In the 12-week class they go from running 60 seconds to running 3.1 miles, which is a 5k.”

One hundred percent of the Run for God course’s running is done outside, she noted.

“It makes it easier to run when you have people to run with,” said Koss. “I’ve been running for three years now. It makes me smile to say that I am a runner. Going running helps me to clear my mind.”

In addition to achieving a healthier lifestyle, she said she has made lifelong friendships that she will always cherish through Run for God.

“Everyone that comes in is supposed to be there,” said Koss. “Run for God really is life-changing.”

On your marks…

To enroll in the Run for God class at Oakwood Baptist Church, contact co-leader Rene’ Koss by email at crayolaczy@gmail.com. Oakwood Baptist Church campuses in Ringgold at Gateway Antique Mall, 247 Market Place Lane; on Germantown Road in East Ridge and in Chickamauga at the main campus, 115 Oakwood St., are all taking part in the Run for God classes. Class participants receive text alerts and emails about upcoming classes and runs. To learn more visit www.oakwoodbc.org/RunforGod, find OBC Run for God on Facebook or go to www.runforgod.com.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.