Votes

Soddy-Daisy High to induct 7 alumni into Hall of Fame

A fighter pilot, a CEO and a zoologist, among others, will all be speaking in North Hamilton on the morning of Friday, March 1. What all these people have in common is the fact that they have fierce Trojan pride.

Soddy-Daisy High School is preparing for its fifth annual Hall of Fame ceremony. At the ceremony, the school will induct seven new honorees, bringing the total of SDHS “Hall of Famers” up to 45, according to Spanish teacher and Hall of Fame board member Ken Thomas.

“The whole thing was established so our students could see success,” he explained. “[At the ceremony held in front of the student body] inductees usually get up and challenge the students in some way. They often say things like, ‘I was seated right where you were and I didn’t even know I would do great things.’”

The inductees, nominated at large by the community, are chosen by a board of 12 SDHS teachers who also graduated from the high school.

One inductee is flying 9,000 miles to be at the ceremony, as he now resides in Queensland, Australia, said Thomas. His presence will mark the first time an inductee has come from a different continent to take part in the Hall of Fame ceremony.

Another inductee is 91 years old and graduated from the inaugural class of SDHS.

“I get a lot of satisfaction from hearing success stories and knowing that a great line of teachers has contributed to the students’ lives,” said Thomas. “I love to see the payoff.”

The Hall of Fame induction ceremony is open to the public and is being held at SDHS at 8:30 a.m. March 1. For more information call the school at 332-8828.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.