Votes

Bachman Community Center director resigns

Bachman Community Center Executive Director Lissa Goeltz is leaving her post of five and a half years to take the executive director position at local nonprofit Breast Cancer Support Services.

photo

Bachman Community Center board of directors president Earl Hereford and Lissa Goeltz, executive director of the center for five and a half years, announce Goeltz’s resignation.

“I had an opportunity at another nonprofit I just couldn’t pass up,” said Goeltz of her new full-time post, adding that it is more fitting with her family’s current needs than the part-time position at Bachman.

Breast Cancer Support Services offers education and support for women diagnosed with breast cancer, including financial support for women currently undergoing treatment who are unable to work.

While Goeltz has never experienced breast cancer herself, her grandmother died of the disease at a young age. Her mother had melanoma and was unable to work during treatment.

“She had to apply for assistance and had her electricity and utilities paid, so I know firsthand how important it is to have financial help while undergoing treatment,” Goeltz said in regards to her mother.

She starts her new job in March; her last day at Bachman is Friday, March 1.

“This is bittersweet, because I’m sad to leave Bachman,” Goeltz said, naming the preschool story time, which started her first week on the job, and the people as the aspects she will miss most. “All of the volunteers are so nice. Everyone’s really happy doing what they love to do, and I’m going to miss watching that.”

But she is excited about the chance her new job presents to meet new people and promote another worthy organization, she added.

“We definitely want to keep supporting Bachman so it can stay open and up doing the wonderful things it does for the community,” she said.

Bachman board of directors president Earl Hereford said the board’s personnel committee is re-evaluating the job description to make sure it is up to date, and they plan to advertise the position through the Center for Nonprofits and by word of mouth.

The personnel committee will then sort through the applications and select the most qualified candidates to present to the board, which will then vote on the matter.

“Hopefully there will be a unanimous board decision,” said Hereford, adding that preference will be given to mountain residents. “We greatly appreciate the work that Lissa has done. We’ve had a lot of improvements and an increase in use.”

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.