Votes

Concierge business brings the ‘Good Life’ to Chattanooga

photo

Owner of Good Life Services Katie Benson offers a variety of services through her business.

Hixson resident Katie Benson is the definition of “a jack of all trades.”

Housekeeping, pet care, massage therapy, cooking, event planning — she can literally do it all, and she puts each of her varied skills to good use with her growing personal concierge company, Good Life Services.

Her background is as varied as her business’s offerings. Benson’s career began while she was still studying at Notre Dame High School. When her parents underwent a divorce, she moved out of her home as a high school junior, completing high school while living on her own and working at a horse farm.

Her boss thought she did such a good job, she soon started working at his bed and breakfast as well, catering and cleaning and regularly assuming new responsibilities. She took several pet care courses while working with the horses on the farm, and after high school she attended a massage therapy school.

“I did just about everything,” Benson reminisced. “I just basically floated around, cleaned homes, did some pet sitting. I have experience in everything and I’m a very particular person. Everything I do, I do well.”

So when she decided that she wanted a more defined career path, she combined all of her skills into one job — giving the residents of Chattanooga “the good life.”

Benson and her staff tested out the concept for a year. Good Life Services just recently got its business license to make it official, she said.

“It started out with friends and family and it grew off of referrals,” Benson explained. “[House] cleaning is definitely the most popular, but we offer tons of services.”

She added that she only offers services that she has enough knowledge about to either carry out herself or train one of her employees to carry out.

Clients of Good Life Services range from moms who have too much on their plate to those who aren’t adept at communicating with other service providers. Benson said for some reason her clients always feel comfortable telling her exactly how they want a job done.

“It should be done the way they want it done,” she said. “I appreciate that people feel so comfortable with me that they can tell the truth. We are in tune to what our customers want.

“I have some clients referred to me awhile back and now they are truly my best friends,” she added.

Benson’s background in hospitality shows through. Her team often leaves fresh flowers or freshly baked cookies behind after a completed task, she said.

The business has already grown into the Nashville area, and Benson said she envisions it extending into multiple states.

“We are constantly introducing new things; we are expanding and growing and I’m excited about it,” she said.

For more information on Good Life Services, visit thegoodlifeservice.com.

Email Kelsie Bowman at kbowman@timesfreepress.com