Votes

Melrose Boutique sets up shop on Frazier

After n2 shoes owner Alison Songer informed Melanie Settles that the space next door to her shop was available, Settles was ready to sign a contract within a week.

She and her staff packed up her shop — Melrose Boutique, formerly located in the Brainerd Art District — and promptly moved into the space at 115 Frazier Ave.

“We’ve been here for five weeks and it’s been absolutely awesome,” said Settles, adding that she has enjoyed becoming a part of the North Shore business community. All of the business owners really try to help each other out and learn from each other, she explained.

The former Atlanta wardrobe stylist knows fashion. Settles said she has styled the wardrobes of people in festival films, music videos, promo shoots and more. She loved her job in Atlanta, but after her husband retired from playing in the NFL, the couple wanted to move back to their hometown: Chattanooga.

“We’re both from Chattanooga and we wanted to move back here to raise a family,” Settles said. “But I still had the fashion bug, so I decided to open my shop.”

She describes Melrose as a one-stop shop that fits the fashion needs of any woman, from a 25-year-old to a trendy 65-year-old, at a price point of $25-$200.

“We like to showcase up-and-coming designers; the unknowns. We like to find people who put themselves out there and try to make it in this cutthroat industry of fashion,” said Settles. “We try to find things that are not mall-ish. To me, the term ‘boutique’ means ‘different.’”

She stocks everything from nail polish to body oils and lotion to handmade jewelry to one-of-a-kind clothing. The only thing she doesn’t offer, she said, is shoes. For that, Settles directs her customers to her new next door neighbor.

For more information, find “Shop Melrose Boutique” on Facebook or call 760-8400.