Votes

May Flowers springs into business on Hanover Street

Budding business May Flowers florist shop is now providing floral works of art “for any reason and any season of life.”

“I had always dreamed of opening my own shop,” said co-owner Christy Babin, who graduated from Mississippi State University with a degree in floral management. “I definitely have a passion for flowers. It’s always been a true love of mine. They brighten up the inside world and they make you happy.”

photo

Co-owners of May Flowers Christy Babin, left, and Christa May recently opened up their floral shop inside Cynthia Howell Stationery and Gifts (being renamed Southern Niceties) on Hanover Street.

Babin, who has now been in the floral industry for four years, and co-owner Christa May, a former business consultant who largely manages the business side of the shop, work to keep the 2-month-old shop’s focus local, not stepping over into the wire service side of the flower industry.

The two met through a previous employer, and when May heard what Babin’s dream was, she quickly jumped on board.

“This is the first time I’ve met someone that I’ve had enough confidence in that I actually wanted to partner with her rather than just consult,” said May. “I love to see what Christy does with the flowers. Her designs are just so unique.”

“Unique” is always the theme Babin goes for when creating each of her custom arrangements for clients, she said.

“I like to focus on taking an everyday flower and turning it into something else,” Babin said.

The shop supplies the community with everything from decadent arrangements for a special occasion or event to a simple loose bouquet for that someone special. Babin also said a big focus for the shop is on weddings.

“There’s a lot to be said in getting to know a bride and their unique personality, for creating something that is exclusively theirs,” she said.

“I think the custom component is really important,” added May. “It helps the brides find their own style and make something that will make them happy.”

Babin said she advises brides to determine the style and season of the wedding as well as their bridal party/wedding colors before coming in for a consultation. Beyond that, she said she might suggest hydrangeas, peonies or even succulents and bright yellow billy balls to add a twist of quirkiness to a bouquet. She noted that she is just as happy to work with more traditional brides who wish to create masterpieces out of long-stemmed garden roses.

May and Babin said they can work with anyone’s budget. Some loose bouquets are only around $20 while some major arrangements can be as expensive as $500, depending on the materials used.

Both Babin and May’s ultimate goal is to own their own storefront someday, possibly on Main or Market streets. Until then, clients can find May Flowers inside Cynthia Howell Stationery and Gifts (being renamed Southern Niceties) at 1310 Hanover St.

For more information about May Flowers, visit www.facebook.com/MayFlowersChattanooga or www.mayflowerscha.com or call 486-5320.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.