Votes

Red Bank’s Lewis pays tribute to Patsy Cline

Patsy Cline tribute artist Sandra Lewis of Red Bank is preparing to take people back in time to the days of old-time country Oct. 6.

That is when she will take the stage to sing such well-known hits as “Walking after Midnight,” “Sweet Dreams,” “Crazy” and “I Fall to Pieces.” The show is being hosted by the Alhambra Shrine Temple in East Brainerd, which serves all the area’s Shriners, to help raise funds for activities, utilities and maintenance on vans to take children to Shriner hospitals.

photo

Patsy Cline tribute artist Sandra Lewis of Red Bank is preparing to sing some of the renowned country artist’s greatest hits at the Alhambra Shrine Oct. 6.

Doors will open that night at 5:45 p.m. for the “Elvis Gone Country” concert featuring Lewis as the opening act followed by Elvis Presley tribute artist Tom Christopher and the TCB Band from St. Louis.

“The show opens with a tribute to Patsy Cline,” said Lewis, who has been singing Patsy Cline songs since age 20. “I just like her music and the songs she sang. She crossed over from contemporary to country. I like her country ballads best.”

Aside from singing at tribute concerts, Lewis also sings at weddings and funerals and with the Chattanooga Symphony Chorus. She has been singing since she was a little girl. Now she teaches girls to sing through voice training. In the past she served as choir director for Falling Water Cumberland Presbyterian Church for 35 years. Lewis can sing soprano, alto and tenor vocal ranges.

Following her performance that evening, Christopher will take the stage at 7:30 p.m. in Elvis Presley-inspired attire singing songs like “Gentle on My Mind,” “Peace in the Valley,” “Suspicious Minds,” “Poke Salad Annie” and “American Trilogy.”

“It’s a high-energy show,” said Christopher, for whom this will be his third concert at the shrine. “We will throw in country, gospel and rock standards. It will be a nice, nostalgic weekend of Americana.”

Growing up, he listened to Elvis Presley’s music. His mother introduced him to music and his father introduced him to acting and Christopher decided to merge the two into a career path.

He began his journey as an Elvis tribute artist seven years ago after acting in murder mystery dinner theaters, where he portrayed Elvis Presley. Since that time, he has served as the lead artist on a tour through Graceland four times and has performed in concerts in Iowa, Illinois, Missouri, Tennessee, Arizona, Athens, Greece, and on the island of Crete.

“I mostly stick to the Elvis of 1968 to 1977,” said Christopher, who has black hair, sideburns, stands 6-foot-2-inches tall and weighs 178 pounds, just like Elvis in the 1970s. “I will give out scarves to ladies during the love songs and a kiss on the cheek.”

He said Chattanooga is his band’s favorite place to play because they love the Southern hospitality.

Lady Shriner Charlotte Gooden said she hopes the show sells out with 500 people present.

To learn more about the Alhambra Shrine visit alhambrashrine.com.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.