Votes

New leaders to give updates

Friends of Hixson is holding a community meeting at North River Civic Center Tuesday, Sept. 25 from 6:30-7:30 p.m.

“The theme is to introduce the new community leaders,” said meeting sponsor David Queen. “Our goal is to hold quarterly community meetings to let people know what’s going on in the community.”

The upcoming meeting’s speakers include District 3’s newly elected Hamilton County Commissioner Marty Haynes and School Board representative Greg Martin. Friends of Hixson committee member Marv Martin of Crye-Leike Realty will also give attendees an update on the group’s recent activities and what its plans are for the future.

Haynes said he will give his outlook on the future of District 3 and a quick report on what he has learned thus far in his time on the County Commission.

Among the topics he plans to discuss is the county’s recent purchase of property adjacent to Ganns-Middle Valley Elementary, which will be the future site of a new, larger school. He also plans to address the area’s gang problem.

“I’m trying to get a meeting set with youth pastors at churches in our area with a member of the [city of Chattanooga’s] gang task force to see where we could reach out to at-risk youth,” said Haynes.

Greg Martin said he will be talking about all the positive things happening in Hixson schools.

“For those that don’t know me and my background, I will introduce myself and share a little about my journey,” he said.

Marv Martin reported that the Friends group will be raising funds for community projects by handling parking at the North Chickamauga Creek Conservancy’s upcoming Chickstock event

“We are actively trying to increase the neighborhood art in the Hixson community,” he said, adding that the funds raised at Chickstock will go toward the purchase of a new sculpture. “We’re always looking for new and better projects to help the Hixson community.”

Plans to start a live music series similar to the Mountain Opry on Walden’s Ridge in the auditorium of the new Hixson Community Center will also be discussed. A sound system first needs to be purchased for the auditorium at a cost of around $7,000-$8,000, said Marv Martin.

He said the Friends group is also working on a 5k run with Bethel Bible Village set for Nov. 3.

For the Friends’ next quarterly meeting, Queen said he plans to invite area law enforcement officers to give an update on crime in Hixson.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.