Votes

Red Bank, Soddy-Daisy choose new mayors

Although the names of those filling seats on the city commissions of Soddy-Daisy and Red Bank were known following the Nov. 6 elections, who would sit in the mayor’s and vice mayor’s chairs wasn’t determined until each of the board’s most recent meetings.

Former Soddy-Daisy vice mayor Janice Cagle was named the city’s new mayor by a 4-1 vote of commissioners.

“I want to continue to see it grow, to try to get more retail businesses we need desperately,” said Cagle of her goals for the city as she moves forward in her position as its head official. “I would love to clean it up — we’re going to have to get back to enforcing the codes violations.”

Dr. Patti Skates, who replaced former commissioner Shane Harmon on the City Commission, was the sole commissioner to vote against the nomination of Cagle for mayor.

“I voted no because we’re [the city of Soddy-Daisy] under a litigation, and since she’s involved in that litigation, I thought it should be someone else at this time,” said Skates in a phone conversation.

Rick Nunley became Soddy-Daisy’s vice mayor by the commissioners’ unanimous vote.

Red Bank City Commission is full of new blood, with its least-tenured group of commissioners in recent times. Commissioners voted unanimously to name former vice mayor John Roberts as the city’s new mayor and Commissioner Floy Pierce, who was not up for re-election in the November race, as vice mayor.

“It’s a time for renewal,” said Roberts. “I see a lot of us getting a lot of stuff done in the next year.”

He said recruiting new businesses is still a priority for the city, which passed an ordinance on first reading at its most recent meeting that would decrease the number of parking spaces required for commercial buildings from approximately 6.5 to 4 per 1,000 square feet of building space. City Attorney Arnold Stulce said this puts Red Bank’s ordinance more in line with the requirements for surrounding communities, and could attract new businesses or allow existing ones to expand their building spaces if they so desire.

Roberts also announced that Red Bank’s new City Manager Randall Smith assumes his position Dec. 2. Financial Director John Alexander has served as interim city manager since October, when the Commission fired former city manager Chris Dorsey.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.