Votes

Author uses book sales to write donation checks

North Chattanooga resident and fantasy/science fiction author Shane Berryhill is donating all the 2012-2013 proceeds from audiobook and e-book sales of his recently released novel, “The Long Silent Night,” to the local Children’s Home/Chambliss Shelter.

“The themes of the book resonate with the mission of the Children’s Home/Chambliss Shelter,” he said of the novel, which involves a private detective attempting to track down Jack Frost’s kidnapped adoptive father, Santa Claus. “[Children’s Home/Chambliss Shelter] does a lot of good things with children, including foster care service.”

While most of his novels have been aimed at the young adult crowd, he said he feels “The Long Silent Night” will appeal to an audience of all ages.

“It’s for those young of age and young of heart,” said Berryhill. “I think families could make it a holiday tradition, and it helps support a worthy cause.”

While working his day job at the Southeast Tennessee Development District, Berryhill has managed to complete several other novels published by Crossroad Press and Macmillan Books, the latter being the world’s largest publisher of fantasy and science fiction works, he said.

“I just like telling stories,” said Berryhill, who always contributes proceeds from the sale of his various books to local charitable organizations when his stories sell.

Proceeds raised through the end of this year from the sale of the audiobook version of his first novel, “Chance Fortune and the Outlaws,” go toward Hamilton County's Read 20 Program that is focused on increasing local children's literacy.

“Promoting children’s literacy is a cause near and dear to my heart,” said Berryhill. “[Children] have been very supportive to me, which allows me to give back to something I believe in wholeheartedly.”

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.