Votes

Catoosa County’s Chic by Maryia Boutique sells stylish fall fashions

Those looking for the latest in fashion can find it at Chic by Mariyia Boutique, which keeps up with the East and West Coasts in terms of trends and selection.

Miss Me Jeans, 3 Sister Jackets, Ivy Jane clothing and other stylish brands can be found in the store.

“I love to dress people up and get to know their individual style,” said boutique owner Maryia Cox. “When I shop I visualize people in each outfit. I go to fashion shows in Atlanta. The merchandise in the store comes from New York and Los Angeles.”

Hand-selecting every item in the store, she said she keeps an eye out for unique dresses and jackets.

Born in Russia, Cox moved to the United States in 1998 at age 17 from Minsk, Belarus, to find the American dream. Catoosa County residents Dean and Peggie Gayton became her American parents and her American grandparents are Bill and Wilma Patty.

“This community made me who I am today,” said Cox. “I always wanted to have a boutique to serve this community. I learned English and fell in love with this country and the people in it.”

While working at Park Place Restaurant in Fort Oglethorpe, she graduated from the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga with a bachelor’s degree in business management.

“During my college days, I made beaded jewelry for stress relief,” said Cox. “My professor and students wore my jewelry. I make all my beaded jewelry sold in the store.”

She married Jason Cox, a managing partner at Lane Funeral Home South Crest Chapel, who helped her achieve her dream. They have a son, Ryan Cox, age 2.

“I always wanted to have a shop and Jason said, ‘Let’s go for it,’” she said. “I was introduced to Irina from Russia. We split the rent and she runs Irina’s Alterations in the store. It’s two separate businesses in one building. We complete each other.”

Cox said she has learned that style is based on each individual. She said some of her customers are conservative, while others like to really dress up, so she tries to have styles that fit everyone in the store. Chic by Maryia Boutique celebrated five years as a store this fall.

“In 2010 I officially became a U.S. citizen,” said Cox. “I want to be a part of the United States. This is the best country in the world to live in. In Russia it’s more of surviving and here it’s more of living life. There is no way to open a business in Russia.”

She said her father in Russia, Dr. Leonid Mozhey, also serves as a missionary. Her brother, U.S. citizen Oleg Mozhey, is a dentist that moved back to Russia. She keeps in touch with her family members in Russia through Skype.

“The Lord is good; he leads me every day by his hand,” said Cox. “I’m thankful for what I have.”

In style

Chic by Maryia Boutique, at 5649 Reed’s Bridge Road in Ringgold, can be reached at 423-605-6226. The boutique is closed Sundays and Mondays. Shoppers can also find Chic by Maryia Boutique on Facebook to view current specials on jeans and jackets. The store also has a texting program where customers can send text messages to 36000 and enter the message CHICBYM. Those who join the boutique text club receive $5 off a $20 purchase.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.