Votes

White Dove Café returns to Collegedale Community Church

Collegedale Community Church associate pastor Tom Hayes doesn’t really want to hear a sermon on a Friday night.

It’s not that there’s anything wrong with sermons or that Friday nights aren’t a good time for worship, he’d just rather be uplifted spiritually in a more relaxed atmosphere, he said. That’s what led him to create the White Dove Café series, a contemporary coffeehouse-style program for local Christian singer-songwriters.

“Spiritually, for me it feels different from work, and that’s the goal,” said Hayes. “Starting out a weekend with a Friday night end-of-the-workweek relaxing but spiritual event leads into a good weekend.”

The next installment of the informal music presentation is Nov. 16 from 7-9 p.m. at the church’s campus, 4995 Swinyar Drive. According to Hayes, the small, intimate setting that only accommodates 35-40 people allows attendees to interact with the musicians as much or little as they would like.

“For me personally, I enjoy people’s message in their song and the personal aspect of it,” said Hayes. “I like to ask them, ‘Where were you in your life walk when you wrote this song?’”

He said he would encourage anyone interested in local Christian songwriters to attend the event.

“It’s just an opportunity that allows artists to share original songs or cover songs that are meaningful to them in a small, intimate setting,” said Hayes.

For more information about the event or to volunteer as a performer, contact the church office at 396-5464.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.