Votes

Millard, Harmon lose commission seats

Several incumbents running for office in North Hamilton County municipalities lost their seats by narrow margins in the Nov. 6 election, including former Red Bank mayor Monty Millard and Soddy-Daisy city commissioner Shane Harmon.

Rick Causer is the new Red Bank city commissioner for District 2 after receiving 55.46 percent of votes (2,091) to Millard’s 42.76 percent (1,612).

Millard said he currently has no plans to run for office again.

“I’m just going to relax and enjoy my retirement,” he said. “I’ve been down there [serving as a commissioner at City Hall] for 10 years and a volunteer in the community for 35, and I’m just kind of fed up with it all.”

Causer could not be reached for comment.

Kenneth Welch ran unopposed for Red Bank’s District 3, a position to which he was appointed when then-vice mayor Greg Jones left the Commission earlier this year to become a children’s minister in Alaska. Eddie Pierce ran unopposed for former commissioner-at-large Ruth Jeno’s seat.

The three open seats on Soddy-Daisy City Commission went to Patti Skates and incumbents Geno Shipley and Mayor Jim Adams.

Shipley received the majority of votes with 2,672 (22.43 percent), followed by Adams at 2,114 (17.74 percent) and Skates at 1,398 (11.73 percent). She narrowly surpassed Harmon, who received 1,349 votes (11.32 percent). Les Jewell received 1,245 votes (10.45 percent), followed by David Smith with 1,106 (9.28 percent), Garland Johnson with 1,005 (8.44 percent) and Mark Bivens with 974 (8.18 percent).

Lakesite residents cast 763 votes (50.73 percent) for David Howell and 487 votes (45.13 percent) for John McPherson, both of whom ran unopposed for three open seats on City Commission. According to the city charter, commissioners will appoint someone to fill the remaining open seat.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.