Votes

Bachman honors volunteers

As the year draws to a close, Bachman Community Center is recognizing several people who have given throughout this year — and many others.

Several longtime Bachman volunteers were recently honored at a reception held in the home of Bachman Boutique manager Cindy Close.

“We would not be able to stay in operation without our volunteers,” said Bachman Executive Director Lissa Goeltz.

Among the honorees was Julie Lonic, a six-year member of Bachman’s board of directors who is rolling off this year; she served as liaison to the Bachman Boutique.

“I really did enjoy volunteering there because of the other volunteers I worked with and the people I met while I was there,” said Lonic. “I’m grateful to have had the opportunity to be there and help.”

She said she watched the Bachman Boutique increase its days of operation from bimonthly to biweekly during her tenure on the board.

“I hate to leave it behind, but it’s comforting to know it’s in good hands,” said Lonic, adding that Close has been a tremendous help and that she is also excited about Hassin Dean, a former Bachman board member, offering his services to the Bachman Boutique as assistant manager in January. “We’re just really thrilled about how well the store has done, and we’re really on the precipice of great things in 2013.”

Close said Dean’s expertise will be greatly valued in the shop.

“He has a hobby of dealing in bric-a-brac,” she said.

A surprise honor was bestowed upon Nancie Bailey, a former bookkeeper at Bachman when the building was still an elementary school.

“Bachman is just very close to my heart,” said Bailey. “It’s just such a jewel in the community.”

She volunteered in the Bachman Boutique until about six months ago, when she was diagnosed with pancreatic cancer. Bailey was presented with a quilt quilted by fellow Bachman volunteer Pat Doherty.

“We thank her for her sunshine and all the help she’s given us,” said Close.

Bailey was also instrumental in starting a summer program at the center.

“I saw a need in the community for affordable enrichment activities for the kids up here,” she said.

Bailey said she plans to return to volunteering at the center as her health permits.

“I was very honored and very humbled by such a generous showing of love and kindness,” she said of the recognition.

Also honored was Ruth Fjeld, a volunteer at Bachman since its inception as a community center in 2000.

“She has an interesting, down-to-earth personality and has always been willing to help in any way,” said Close.

Helping hands

Bachman needs volunteers for its library as well as for the Bachman Boutique. To find out more call 886-4842.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.