Race for the Cure honors local survivors


Michele’s Miracle Workers participate in last year’s Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure in Chattanooga. Contributed Photo

Chattanooga’s Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure isn’t just about raising funds for breast cancer research and prevention, it’s also about honoring an estimated 400 survivors.

According to Susan G. Komen Chattanooga Affiliate Executive Director Karen Edmondson, a survivor parade has been added to this year’s race day’s events, to be held Sept. 25. Immediately following a 1 p.m. survivor photo at McKenzie Arena, survivors will be part of a parade up East Fifth Street before the race’s official start at 2 p.m, she said.

“It will be emotional, uplifting and an inspiration to see all the people gathered together to support someone in their battle,” said Edmondson. “It’s not a sad day, it’s very inspirational.”

In addition to the new survivor parade and tent, this year’s race will feature an expo beginning at 11 a.m. in the McKenzie Arena, a timed 5K run, an untimed 5K walk/run, a one-mile fun run/walk and sleep-in for the cure.

An estimated 10,000 people are expected to attend this year’s event, and Edmondson said the fundraising goal is set at $550,000. Of the money raised, 75 percent of the funds will go directly to those affected by breast cancer in the Chattanooga community and the remaining 25 percent will be granted nationally for research.

“Just paying the registration fee doesn’t raise the money,” said Edmondson. “Fundraising is necessary to fund the services we need.”

Additional donations can be made during registration, dropped off on race day or mailed to the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure Chattanooga Affiliate. Registration fees range from $20 to $45, depending on the event and when participants are register. Registration is available online until 7 p.m. Sept. 23 or at the Susan G. Komen Chattanooga Affiliate office from 3-7 p.m. through Sept. 23.

For more information, visit the event website.


Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.