Votes

Groovy Gurlz gears up for holiday fashion

Groovy Gurlz, a handmade clothing boutique made famous by the Chattanooga Market, is gearing up for the holiday season with Christmas styles ranging from Dr. Suess’ Grinch patterns to classic red and green prints.

“I try to make it where you don’t see a lot of the same stuff,” said owner Debbie Haney. “I try to make things that appeal to everyone’s tastes.”

photo

Bright, vibrant patterns on high-quality fabric are a hallmark of Groovy Gurlz handmade clothing designs.

According to her, Groovy Gurlz features clothes for boys sizes newborn through 6 and girls sizes newborn through 16 that are unique, bright, fun and modest. Prices range from $25-$75, depending on the size and item. All clothing is made from high-quality, durable fabrics and many styles are reversible, said Haney.

“I clothe three kids myself, so I’m all about saving money any way I can,” she said.

Haney, who gave up her career as a dental assistant to sew full-time, said her business has exploded since she started in 2010. In the last six months alone, she said she has shipped more than 1,000 dresses to buyers all over the world and is working to build a workshop in the backyard to do her sewing.

The boom in Groovy Gurlz business may come from the variety and fun prints Haney said she offers her customers, but it may also have something to do with the modesty of her outfits. Part of the reason she began sewing was a response to the frustration she found when trying to shop for her own daughter, and that her frustration is echoed by a lot of her customers, she said.

“When you go to department stores it seems like everything is either cheap and going to fall apart after you wash it two times, or looks like something a 25-year-old would wear,” she said.

All Groovy Gurlz outfits are cute but at the same time something a parent can feel comfortable letting their daughter wear to church, said Haney.

Custom orders and monogramming are available. For more information or to place an order, visit www.groovygurlz.etsy.com.

Comments

Use the comment form below to begin a discussion about this content.